Sunday, April 20, 2008

Korea Day #3

Saturday morning I rolled out of bed and went to my interview with Screen, a popular film magazine in Korea.


After our interview, we had a photo shoot.


They wanted me to do a series of fun and playful poses with a silk flower, which was a symbol that represented the film festival. Since Butch Jamie is a funny film, they wanted to capture some of that same energy with the photos. It was the first photo shoot I've done for a magazine, so diving in and coming up with poses was a bit new for me.


Since I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, I went back to the hotel and took a nap after the interview. I woke up a little later than planned, but I still had time to go to N Seoul Tower to view the city before heading out for the night.



This is the tower; you can pay a fee to go up to the top, although I only had time to check out the view from the base. It was high up on a mountain, so you could still get a good view of the city.


The observation deck had a gate that was decorated with hundreds of padlocks put there by couples proclaiming their love. Several of them were two locks linked together.



The tower area also had a couple of hanging figures made out of thin wire.





After my visit to the tower, I took a cab across town to meet up with some other filmmakers at a pub for Director's Night.



This is cloudy rice wine that you drink out of a metal bowl; it was poured from a gold tea pot. The taste of the wine is interesting, but I liked it. The bowl keeps it cold longer, too.


Things I learned today about Korea:

- A person's age in Korea is their U.S. age plus one year. The reason is that they count the year you are in mom's womb as the first year of life (although your birthday is the actual day you are born).

- In the old days, around our grandparents generation, women walked behind men and carried all of the heavy things. Things are different today, although a woman told me that feminism in Korea is a man holding the door open for a woman, as it shows her more respect.

- As a woman reaches her late 20s, it becomes more difficult for her to find a job. Employers often ask on the job application if a woman is married. Many woman are fired when they become pregnant, although technically the law doesn't support this. Nevertheless, raising a family while holding a job is not an option for most women.

We stayed out late Saturday night and chatted until nearly 3AM. A few of us made plans to meet up for karaoke the next night.

No comments: