Saturday, June 14, 2008

~Pride~

As I wrote in my last post, last Friday and Saturday I did Pride-related dyke activities. Sunday I missed the Pride parade, but I went to check out the festival.

I learned this year (which I'm somewhat ashamed to admit, seen as how it's very basic Gay History) that Pride started in 1970 as a way to commemorate the Stonewall Riots the year before. I was amazed to learn that the tradition has been around for nearly 40 years.


My day started out with volunteering at GLAAD's booth for a few hours. GLAAD stands for Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, and they work to put an end to LGBT discrimination and inaccuracy in the media.


As I wrote a couple postings ago, the highlight for me this year was getting to meet the moms of the gay teens. Had I not been working the booth, I probably wouldn't have even known they were there; so it was a good opportunity to talk with some different people.

After that, I went to get free Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B vaccines from Hepteam, who had a booth there.



After that, I walked around and looked at stuff.






This year I saw two new additions - a teeth whitening booth ($120 for a 15 min. whitening, and believe it or not - maybe you will, because this is L.A. and these are gay men after all - all four of the machines were occupied, and there were people waiting in line as well) and a small petting zoo.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A teeth whitening booth! Crazy. Somedays I really miss LA just for the pure ridiculousness of it. However, I can't say that I wouldn't have had my teeth whitened! Pride here was extremely pathetic - then it rained and we went home.

L

Jenn said...

Wow - a teeth whitening booth? That's crazy - the LA Pride looks so tame and Disney-like. A petting zoo? Grass? Holy moly!

Can't wait to see your report about your week here in SF at Frameline and SF Pride! Adored your movie and can't wait to see it on video so I can share it with my friends (I think my sister and her family would really love it!).

Dobson says "HI" to Howard and wants a pawtograph.