Saturday, December 13, 2008

MILK - does a body good


I don't know if there's been a historical movie that has so accurately spoken to a present day situation as MILK. The parallels between the movie and the recent activity over prop 8 is so similar that it's uncanny. It's almost as if the film is in direct response to the current political situation, yet it was filmed before any of it happened.

Of course, it's been "happening" for a very long time. A different decade, a different proposition, but the same idea over and over again. Do we deserve equal treatment, do we have a right to be protected under the law, do we have a place in our democracy and in our country.

The rallies and protests in the film against prop 6 closely echoed my experience with prop 8. The signs were the same, the chants were familiar, the emotions were identical. Just seeing the group of people in the movie rallying for GLBT rights got me choked up. It was the same feeling I had when I marched in the protest downtown last month. Feeling the energy of a group of people all passionate about the same thing is very moving.

MILK humanizes the gay political movement in a way that I believe no other movie ever has. What is the "gay agenda?" For Harvey Milk, it was helping to prevent suicide amount young gay people, who are 2-3 times more likely to be at risk. For people who say that the GLBT movement is selfish, that we don't think of the children and the family, or the impact any of this will have on the "fabric of society," I think it's clear that they aren't looking at the entire picture. We are the children, we are the family, we are part of society. We are a part of all those things. To not make a place for us undermines the value of all of it.

I sometimes think it's funny that I'm a lesbian, that I drew the right card at birth that enabled me to experience this on a personal level. But how wonderful it is, how much richer your life can be. You're forced to deal with yourself, your life, your family and friends. With your government, your media, your religion, your stereotypes, and your own rules and regulations. It's not always easy, but it is empowering. To go through this process that so many of us do, and come out the other side better because of it.

I think this is the same process that society is now struggling with, not just with GLBT rights but with the change that accompanies it. We've come to a point where we all have to deal with our government, our media, our religions, our stereotypes, our rules and regulations. It's won't be easy, but it will be empowering. And we will come out the other side better because of it.

3 comments:

black turtleneck said...

I can't wait to see this movie -- I put a link to your entry at kyana!

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie and it was very touching for me as well as my husband (who knew Harvey Milk). I did a little tribute video on youtube because I felt so touched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAP881manQ&fmt=18

Thanks for voicing your opinion! (I found your blog entry through kyana) :)

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith - the religious right is waning - they are aging and can't keep imposing their will on others forever. It is totally unfair for GLBT people to not be treated equally - but this will change - it has too - it is what is right and fair, and as an American I have to believe in equality and fairness for all. B.