Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Erasing the "Huh?" from Abstract Art

I recently visited the MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) for the first time and loved it. If you go, go to the downtown location on Grand Ave. The MOCA has two other locations in L.A. besides the one on Grand - one is currently closed, and the other one is in WeHo next to the Pacific Design Center.


The WeHo one is free but it only has one small room that at this time has only one large piece of art (seen below).


I was ready to go in about 2 minutes, but my Dad sat and stared at it for at least thirty. It was actually quite cute - he would look at it with a very pensive look on his face, scanning it as if doing some sort of mathematical equation in his head.

After that, we headed over to the one downtown. Below is the sculpture they have out front, made from the parts of planes and other industrial things.



The exhibit inside was great - they have a temporary exhibit from one artist and a more permanent collection from several different ones. The best part was the tour we went on for the temporary exhibit - it really gave us a perspective on how to look at the art and what ideas the artist was exploring with his work. What I learned most from the tour was learning how to appreciate art as an experience and not necessarily as an intellectual exercise.

For example, when looking at a Jackson Pollock (the guy who dribbles paint on a canvas), don't necessarily think "What does this mean? What is the artist trying to say?" Look at it and feel something - the passion, the energy, the movement. The way the artist seems to erase all barriers between himself and his work - his experience painting it becomes what we see in the work. Of course, there's more to his notoriety in terms of doing something groundbreaking in the history of art, but I think the art should be more than just something "never done before." I think what matters is how I feel when I look at it, and any art class I've taken has always shied away from teaching that. I understand that you can't tell me what to feel, but it helps to be guided through the process by which we can discover what we feel, other than a simple - "Huh?"

When the process of looking at art starts to become an exploration of an experience, taking an idea and playing with it, being delighted by it, surprised, amused, entertained, or curious, it begins to resonate for me. As with the pottery exhibit in the picture above, I looked at it and just saw pottery - my Dad had an experience. Just as I started to have an experience as I explored an exhibit downtown that was comprised of glass, mirrors, and reflections - it's as if you start rediscovering and looking at the world as a child - everything is new and different. And when I go back to the MOCA I will be sure to take a tour of a new exhibit to gain some more perspective on the whole thing.

4 comments:

Journal of a ____ said...

For me, art that makes me feel something is art that I can appreciate. Pollock doesn't make me feel anything so I don't appreciate it as much as a Degas. I understand that perhaps there is an energy that some see in his splatter, but when I look at a dancer I feel inspiration.

Brenda said...

I love this post. I like Pollock's splatter. It's an energy of sorts. My favorite is Matisse. I love that he played with color and putting them in odd places like a blue tree or green face. My favorite of his is the Open Window. In fact, my favorite paintings and/or photos are of doorways or windows. I always see them as an opening, a way out or as an optimistic hope of things to come. Got a little wordy there, lol. Nice post.

Butch Jamie said...

Thanks to both of you for sharing your opinions :)

MOCA ed said...

Nice to know that your impression of MOCA kept you thinking!

Best wishes!