Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The GAYme Show Network


Last Saturday I videotaped some red carpet interviews for the first annual Game Show Network Awards. A friend of mine does freelance work as an interviewer/on-screen personality for various events, and he asked me if I could shoot some interviews for him. I've never shot a red carpet before, and it was actually quite fun.

While there were several cameras trying to get interviews (we weren't affiliated with the network - they had their own crew), we managed to talk to a good amount of people - the goth couple from "Amazing Race," the kids from "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?", a lady from the show "The Office," the host from "Dancing with the Stars," a lady from "Mad TV," one of the "Brady Bunch" guys (OK, so you can tell I'm not a "name" person), Cloris Leechman, Carnie Wilson, George Wallace, and I think Melissa Rivers. Bob Barker was also somewhere to be found, as was Alan Thicke from "Growing Pains," but we didn't get a chance to interview them.


Since I don't have a TV, I didn't know that Ross the Intern is now a host on the network (not that I would know that if I did have a TV, but I guess you never know).


I didn't recognize him at first and I couldn't help but think how interesting it was that they had this flaming queer as a host (he's no "Anderson Cooper," if you know what I mean).


But he's definitely a cutie, and props to the GSN for bringing him on board. Game shows are already so gay - it's about time they start embracing this rather than casting overly-sexed straight men (have you seen the old "Family Feud" shows where the host actually kisses all the women contestants on the lips? Talk about EWW, gross, sexual harassment, and herpes).


The awards show airs June 6th, and is hosted by Howie Mandel. You can even vote for your favorites on their website here. (Actually, I just went to the site and voting is closed, which of course makes sense since they already gave out the awards, but you can still take a look at the nominees).


And in typical game show style, as a parting gift for the event, we got to take home a box of good ol' fashioned rice-a-roni.


-

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Hahahahaha. Rice a Roni. That is too funny. I used to watch Family Fued and thought that it was gross when Richard Dawson (yup I know his name) kissed all the women. Cool that you got to interview all those people.

Journal of a ____ said...

Ross the intern is funny, in an over-the-top kind of way. I didn't know he was hosting a show! Your interview adventure sounds great.

Anonymous said...

Gay Pride