Saturday, December 8, 2007

Chi Kind of Town



Right before I went to the Long Island G&L Film Festival (here's a link to my Long Island blog entry), I went to Chicago to represent Butch Jamie at Reeling, the Chicago Lesbian and Gay International Film Festival. I'd never been to Chi-town before (that's what the locals call Chicago; at first I thought it meant Chinatown, but it doesn't. Also, the "chi" is pronounced like "shy."), so I stayed a couple extra days to sight-see.



Above are pictures from Millennium Park, an outdoor center for art, music, architecture, and landscape design. I loved it -- it was one of the highlights of my trip. The park cost $145 million to build although it's free to go to, and it opened only a couple of years ago. It gives Chicago a very modern feel. I spent several hours looking around, taking photos, listening to this awesome soundscape thing they had (shown in the second picture above), and then after it got dark, I watched an artsy video presentation with images of glaciers and human figures. The whole place was kind of like an outdoor museum. There were several sculptures, including a big, metal sphere/blob thing that reflect's Chicago's skyline.




Here are some reflections of the sphere taken from my camera phone at night:



As for the film festival, it was a lot of fun. We had a Friday night screening of Butch Jamie with an after-party at a local hangout. Saturday night I went to another party where I met Peter and CeJae, two guys who had seen the movie the night before.



CeJae (the one in the second picture) wanted to pretend that he was my girlfriend for the night. I let him kiss my cheek for the photo, but that was it.

Sunday I interviewed with Tello Films, a new online video site that features films for/by/about lesbians. The interview isn't up yet, but I'll keep you updated.

After my interview, I met up with some other filmmakers and actors for brunch.


So that's it for Chicago--I hope to be back again soon. It's my new favorite city!

No comments: