Saturday, January 3, 2009

Taiwan Day #5

Happy New Year!! I know I haven't posted in awhile - I've been busy visiting friends and family for the holidays. I have one more 2008-related post, and then we'll move on to '09! So first, here is my last post of my trip to Taiwan (you can take a look at the other posts by clicking here and scrolling down).


My last day in Taipei, I only had a few hours before I left for the airport. Since I had accomplished most of my vacation to-do list and we were out late the night before, I allowed myself to sleep in. Then I went to the Wisteria Tea House with a couple of other filmmakers for lunch.




I chose the teahouse because it is said to be Taipei's most historic. Ang Lee also shot Eat Drink Man Woman there, which I haven't seen, but is now in my Netflix queue (the problem is that I add movies faster than I watch them, and I now have 346 movies in my queue. That's probably more than I've seen in my whole life. If I manage to watch one movie a week, I will be done with this particular movie list in about 6 and a half years).

The teahouse itself was cute but unassuming; however, the food was excellent and worth the trip.


Afterward, I went to Taiwan's first gay bookstore (there are now several others), a small shop in a residential area.



I looked through the DVD selection, hoping that perhaps one day Butch Jamie would make its way to the shelves.

After that, I said goodbye to everybody and went back to the hotel to catch the shuttle to the airport. It was definitely a memorable trip. Since screenings of the film are now tapering off, I don't know if I will get to do any more exotic traveling with the film, but it's been a blast while it's lasted. And of course, on to the next one...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog on Taiwan! All the photos and information were wonderful. This is a great insight into this country and its culture. I will probably never visit it in person, so I took it all in. Thanks! I loved it! B.